Sunday, February 25, 2007

My Husband Calls Me “The Stephen King of Birth…”

My Husband Calls Me “The Stephen King of Birth…”
By Jill McDanal
Because I scare the living hell out of people. I have had an unassisted homebirth, and plan on doing it again! Scary? I don’t think so. Sit back, take a deep breath, and ask yourself, “Do I really want to read this?” I will warn you, this is not for the ‘mainstreamers’ who have stumbled upon this site out of curiosity. This is very much bashing the medical establishment (doctors, nurses, and medwives) in general for stealing birth away from the women it belongs to. This was written for ME and for the thousands of women out there like me, but who are too afraid of the repercussions of what they say, in the form of snubs from doctors, nurses, friends, and family. I have been told by many in the mainstream that I am opinionated (really?), uneducated (got a bachelor’s degree, am a medical researcher, certified childbirth educator, professional labor assistant, wife, mom of three ages 2, 3, and 5 unassisted birther and I am published author - pretty impressive, huh?) I have been told I should censor my cussy mouth (from the South, remember?) and I can’t appreciate others opinions (which is true ONLY if you are into bashing mine.) So with that said, if any of this bothers you, better hit your back button NOW!
Okay, you stayed – very brave of you indeed. You are probably wondering “What started her down this path?” Well my friend, my fist birth was a nightmarish experience, and I got mad. I am sick and tired of seeing women suffer because somebody (usually a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL) knows better than they do. I don’t write to appease the gods of the medical establishment and I don’t try to “reason “ with them, no reasoning with that bunch – just give them a study with contrived “scientific facts”, forget common sense, and see what they come up with. Bullshit mostly. Take a look at their recommendations for VBAC. They want those mothers to be in hospitals, babe with INTERNAL monitor, they need to palpate the scar, and moms need epidurals, just in case. Not to mention they want to blow these babes out untimely with drugs like CYTOTEC – good Lord, don’t get me started on Cytotec – it is a derivation from pig semen (or so I hear tell) and it is CONTRAINDICATED in pregnant women. Searle, the manufacturer of it has a boxed WARNING at the beginning of the listing in the PDR telling ob’s NOT to use it in pregnant women – it CAUSES uterine rupture. (Good reason to stay safe at home, they can’t get you there!) I am so damn sick and tired of a doctor thinking he knows better than God!!!! Babies know when they are supposed to be born. It is not like they have this little calendar when they are conceived and the sperm and egg get together and say – “40 weeks, that will be on Thursday, January 10 at 10:02 pm, well, that is when we will get born” Give me a break!
I am sick and tired of listening to women who have been butchered time and time again sitting around giving everyone the “poor me…, my doctor says…, the nurses say…, my husband says…, my friends say…” with all due respect – BULLSHIT – If, for some reason, you feel violated, raped, abused, or cut up like a Thanksgiving Day turkey, and you find yourself heading down that path again, the answer is EASY, Leave. Run!!! Don’t walk! Don’t pass Go! Don’t collect $200! Do NOT do it again. Once is too much for anyone to feel that they have been cast on the “mercy” of the gods of modern medicine. Ladies, take responsibility for your body and your babe and your birth!!!!!! It matters not what others think of your choices, you are the one who will ultimately have to live with the outcome (and just maybe, the consequences) of your decision.
Read the rest of the article here
taken from http://www.compleatmother.com/articles2/stephenking.htm

No comments: